On many watches (see below) dwMap Premium lets you view a background map (often called a basemap) on your watch screen as well as your chosen route line.
Important: The low data speed on the low-power Bluetooth connection between your watch and phone means that background map images will update more slowly than the other details on the dwMap map screen. This is very noticeable when you start the app, or change zoom levels, but as you move during an activity dwMap incrementally downloads new map files ahead of you for the current zoom level, and you should nearly always have a map beneath your current position arrow. The download speed is highest when Garmin Connect Mobile is running in the foreground on your phone (is the one visible on-screen), so that might be useful when getting the initial map display.
Important: Even though we have optimized the color and designs of the background maps to make them as "compressible" as possible, the image files for the background maps are still relatively large, and we can only offer this feature on watches with 128kB or more of memory allocated to each app. These watches are:
- Venu, Venu Sq and Venu Sq Music
- Vivoactive 4 and 4S
- Vivoactive HR, Vivoactive 3 and 3 Music
- Fenix 5, 5S, 5X, Fenix 5 Plus, 5S Plus, 5X Plus
- Fenix 6, 6 Pro, 6 Sapphire, 6S, 6S Pro, 6S Sapphire, 6X Pro, 6X Pro Solar and 6X Sapphire
- Forerunner 245 and 245 Music
- Forerunner 645 and 645 Music
- Forerunner 935 and 945
- Forerunner 735XT
- Enduro and Chronos
- Marq Adventurer, Athlete, Aviator, Captain, Commander, Driver and Expedition
- Approach S60 and S62, D2 Charlie and Descent Mk1
This is the only Premium feature that has this restriction: all other Premium features work on all the watches that dwMap supports.
Using the Background Maps
- Please read this list if the maps are not appearing for you. In particular, you need to be in north-up mode, and the maps need to be turned on in the app's menu.
- Your watch needs to be connected to your phone and your phone connected to the Internet, for this feature to work. (All other dwMap features continue to work offline, as that remains an important app feature.)
- You can choose Google Maps, OpenCycleMap (OCM), satellite imagery or our specially designed Watch Optimized option. The Watch Optimized map is exclusive to dynamicWatch and designed to ideally match the color palette available on the watches. It uses the same OpenStreetMap worldwide map data as OpenCycleMap and is continuously updated.
- You must turn maps on in the dwMap menu. This is shown how ever you normally show menus on your watch: see dwMap App Menu for how to find it). It will have the option Show Maps or Hide Maps. Your last choice is remembered when you start the dwMap app again.
Note since this menu option is an "action" to take, when the maps are currently enabled the menu option will say Hide Maps.
- Background maps are available in North-up mode only, not in Track-up. This is chosen on your Settings page.
- Plus signs are displayed while the tiles (quadrants) that make up the map are being downloaded. If a plus sign disappears but no map is shown there, the app will try to download that quadrant again later.