V2 of routeCourse (updated in the Garmin App Store in March 2019) added an exciting preview feature for Premium users that lets them view the maps, elevation profiles and detailed stats of their routes on their Garmin devices without having to download them. On models that allow apps like routeCourse to access the built-in street maps, the route preview is shown on those maps, and other devices we show the best possible match with the built-in map feature.
On devices that allow apps like routeCourse to access the built-in street maps on the unit (Fenix 5X, Fenix 5 Plus family, Fenix 6 Pro and 6X Pro, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 820, Edge 1030) the route preview is shown on those maps:
On other devices that have street maps either built-in or installable (Edge 520, Edge 1000, Oregon 7xx, Rino 7xx, GPSMAP 66xx) we show the preview on streets maps that are not identical to the ones on the device, but very similar and allow the location and path of the route to be fully understood:
Finally on the watches which do not offer built-in maps, but do offer basic mapping functionality (all the other devices that routeCourse supports, including the Fenix 5/5S, Forerunner 645 and 935) we show a preview route in a similar basic line format:
Using the Previews
- The device needs to be online to show a preview, but (as has always been the case with routeCourse) once you have downloaded a route it is on the unit and can be used with or without a data connection. (The route is available in the built-in Courses list even if you are not online.)
- From the main route list, press the Start/Enter button or tap the route on the screen to view the route info page.
When viewing a preview on a touchscreen device:
- Tap the screen to switch between map and elevation profile/stats pages.
- On some models you can then swipe and touch to zoom and pan the map to explore the route.
- On other models you can swipe left or right to move to the previous or next route (no need to go back to the main routes list).
- Press the Back button to go back to the route info page.
When viewing a preview on a non-touchscreen device:
- Use the Up/Down buttons to switch between map, elevation profile and stats pages.
- Keep pressing Up or Down and you’ll move to the previous or next route (no need to go back to the main routes list).
- Press the Back button to go back to the route info page
If the route is already downloaded, when you select it from the main route list, you’ll be shown a menu that lets you launch it (start it as a Bike/Run/Hike activity), or show the route info page as above.
On devices with built-in maps, you can change the line color used to draw the route line on the map, from the main menu of the app (available on the main routes list page).
V2 of routeCourse is available now in the Garmin App Store.
Learn more about dynamicWatch Premium.
Upgrade to Premium now!