To get started, you just need to do the following steps, explained in more detailed below:
- Install our mapField data field on your Garmin device
- Link the field to your website account
- Create a route
- Choose the current active route to use.
Once you are setup, see Using mapField on your Garmin.
Install the mapField data field
The mapField data field installs to your device from the Garmin Connect IQ Store.
Make sure that your device is connected by Bluetooth to Garmin Connect Mobile running on your phone (iPhone or Android [Windows Phone will likely not work]), and that your phone and device can get online.
You can then add it to one of your data pages, like any other field. It will be in the category labeled Connect IQ. You'll find you can add 2 or 4 Connect IQ fields to the data pages of an activity or profile. This means you can use mapField on several different pages at one time!
The first time you view a page with mapField on your device it will show you an 8 character link code to securely link it to your website account.
Link your watch to your dynamicWatch account
We have implemented a simple but secure mechanism to link your device to your website account.
- When you open the mapField data field on your device the first time it will show you an 8 character code.
- Enter that code at https://dynamic.watch/link so the device can know which account it is associated with.
- The field will then try every 5 minutes (data fields are only allowed to get online every 5 minutes) to match the link code; when it is able to connect and check the code has been entered, the code will disappear and the route will be shown. It shows a black/gray countdown bar at the top or bottom of the field to show when it will be able to connect next.
If the field is blank, make sure that your device is connected by Bluetooth to Garmin Connect Mobile running on your phone (iPhone or Android [Windows Phone will likely not work]), and that your phone and device can get online.
You only have to do this once for a device, and afterwards the data field will only need an internet connection when you want change the downloaded route.
Create a route
To create your first route you can:
- Draw a route using our Route Planner, or
- upload a GPX/TCX file, or
- import directly from a route planning service such as Ride with GPS.
Choose the current active route for your watch
Once you've got one or more routes, click on the next to one in your route list to set it as your current active route, which will be then marked with a .
When you start an activity with the mapField data field on your Garmin it will automatically download this route (if it has a connection).
Now that you are setup, see Using mapField on your Garmin.